[TriLUG] ldap authentication from Active directory or NTDS

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 7 16:16:57 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 14:46, spain at ncssm.edu wrote:
> I have a small network running active directory with a RH9 server
> running Samba,apache/mysql..
>
> I would like samba to pull a useraccounts from Active Directory to
> authenticate users for access to fileshares..  Does anyone have easy
> instructions on using PAM to set this up?
>
> If so, is this setup process any different between NT4's NTDS and
> Windows 200x Active Directory?
>
> Any one got any self-install guides available?  I've been googling all
> day and so far I'm getting portions of relevant info..
>
> Any help is appreciated

I haven't had to do this yet, but I know that at least one of my clients
is going to want this eventually so I've looked at the docs....

As far as I can tell there isn't a real PAM module to handle this yet,
but Samba can act as a client and directly access your AD for
authentication.  It takes some setup, but is supposed to run fairly
well.

Good Luck, and keep us in the loop!

Jon Carnes