DARK! Re: [TriLUG] Reminder: Meeting TONIGHT - Voice over IP

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 8 17:07:30 EST 2004

For those of you turned away by the Darkness (and that may be all of
us...), here are a few links that you might have found interesting:

http://www.asterisk.org/index.php?menu=features

Asterisk is an Open Source PBX that is developed on Linux and runs on an
ordinary PC. It's totally GPL'ed and it does VoIP right out of the box -
no need to add anything.

Asterisk is developed and maintained (and supported) by some great folks
at Digium

http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=faq#General_0

The Asterisk PBX does a lot more than VoIP.  It also has built-in
Voicemail and the ability to handle standard analog phones as well as a
variety of standard PBX components. It comes with programmable
AutoAttendent, ACD, call groups, programmable call flow, a web-portal
for accessing Voicemail and phone features, etc...

There is also a very well organized user community that supports
Asterisk.  The wiki for the group is here:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk

====

I also want to thank FeatureTel for sponsoring tonights Pizza

http://www.featuretel.com/how-featuretel-works.html

FeatureTel provides businesses with phone service using a Hybrid version
of VoIP called Hosted Telephony, in which the customers talk to
FeaturTel's switches using VoIP transmitted over a private data line
(that is also used for intenet access).  FeatureTel's switches are then
connected directly to the Publicly Switched Telephone Network.

===

Dress warm tonight!

Jon Carnes