[TriLUG] PHP for Mandrake 9.1

Andrew DeFaria Andrew at DeFaria.com
Thu Jan 8 20:12:28 EST 2004

Hello. I hope you don't mine me emailing you directly (I've also cc'ed
trilug at trilug.org but I don't read that mail list regularly) but I seen
you post the following:

    BTW, I'm currently running apache2 and mod_php on Mandrake 9.1 and
    didn't have any of the problems you're describing. What instructions
    where you using? With Mandrake, everything should just work if you
    install it using their rpms (using urpmi above).

I have Mandrake 9.1 running Apache 2.0 and have not been able to get php
working. I'd appreciate it if you could help me out.

I was hoping that all the components for Apache2 and PHP were already
installed and all I needed to do was configure Apache correctly and it
would but that was not the case. There was only one library on my system
that had php in it at /usr/lib/libphp_common.so.430. Using that lib for
LoadModule and restarting Apache 2 complained of unresolved externals.

So I searched for RPMs for updating Apache2 and/or mod_php. I found
various packages but haven't been able to find the right packages to get
this to work.

For example, I found mod_php-4.3.1-1mdk and thought that that was all I
needed but I got:

$  rpm -i mod_php-4.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        mm = 1.2.2 is needed by mod_php-4.3.1-1mdk
        libmm.so.1   is needed by mod_php-4.3.1-1mdk

I can find libmm.so.1 but not the mm 1.2.2. I managed to get the source
for mm 1.2.2 and built and installed it. But I still fail with the above
dependency error since rpm's database we never updated to reflect that
mm 1.2.2 has been installed. So I told rpm to install without dependency
checks and configured Apache but when I visit a simply "helloworld.php"
page it asks me to save the file instead of echoing out "hello world".

I also looked at the urpmi at http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon but it tells
me to run:

$ urpmi.addmedia main
ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrake/9.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS
with ../base/hdlist.cz

That doesn't look right! The relative path of ../base/hdlist.cz assumes
I'm supposed to be in some particular directory. Which directory am I
supposed to be in?

I tried:

$ cd /tmp
$  urpmi.addmedia main
ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrake/9.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS
 with ./hdlist.cz
added medium main
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Local RPMs.cz]
retrieving description file of "main"...
retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "main"...
retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "main"...

ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrake/9.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/hdlist.cz
...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 7 or signal 0

retrieve of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed
no hdlist file found for medium "main"
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]
problem reading synthesis file of medium "main"
unable to update medium "main"

--
My friend has a baby. I'm writing down all the noises he makes so later
I can ask him what he meant.