[TriLUG] 2.6 kernel

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 9 10:38:25 EST 2004

I added 2.6 to my RH9 laptop. I used the rpm that is available at
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/. You'll notice that there are a lot
of other rpms there. You need to upgrade a number of packages for 2.6
work. There may be Drake9.2 equivalents available.
I got the machine so that all the hardware worked, if I loaded modules
manually. None of the hotplus stuff was working for me. I had to insmod
everything myself. Since I'm using a pcmcia NIC, this wasn't acceptable.
I didn't spend a mountain of time on it though. My laptop is my main
work machine and I needed it to be functional. I backed everything out
and am using 2.4.24 now.

Ken

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 10:12, Daniel Monjar wrote:
> Has anyone worked with the 2.6 kernel yet?  I have a new install of
> Mandrake 9.2 at home, pulled down the 2.6 tarball and tried the install.
> It bombed out in one of the SCSI modules looking for some def's it couldn't
> find.  I know it is vague but I'm not at home right now to give the real
> error.
>
> Anyone got it working?
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt