[TriLUG] DNS

Chris Bullock cgbullock at cox.net
Mon Jan 12 09:17:08 EST 2004

I don't mind the html email, but others will cry about it, so I would
try to use plain-text if possible.

what are you trying to ping?  host or host.mydomain.com.  Are your host
machine looking at your DNS servers for DNS lookups?  Can you lookup
outside names?  Is named running on your server?  I think Red Hat by
default has some sort of firewall running, but I am not sure.  Also, I
do not see reverse lookups.  but first try to ping dogbert or catbert,
and then host.mydomain.com.  Also, try to use the dig command to see
what DNS server is giving you the lookups.
--chris