[TriLUG] DNS

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Tue Jan 13 12:53:43 EST 2004

I don't have problems with RR name servers, I dont use them, no
problem.  My caching name server does very well (fast on a 450Mhz) and
also acts as a banner ad blocker (now doubleSHI, err doubleclick gets no
views on my network, instead just an "Ad Blocked" message.  Because many
ad domains resolve to my private web server now, they never even get
seen, and without additional software on my PCs!  :)

BTW, you can get a list known ad servers (in *many* different formats)
here:

http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/

This list seems pretty comprehensive, and is updated often.  I'd say 90%
of the banner ads/pop ups are completely blocked now...

I get a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that when I see an "Ad Blocked"
message I may be depriving some marketing company a *tiny* bit of
revenue, or at least not having to worry about the
doubleclick-track-you-as-you-surf cookies they use in their ads.

My $.02 <cha-ching>

--mike