[TriLUG] procmail with postfix/ spamassassin

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Wed Jan 14 01:31:25 EST 2004

Dear all,

I could use some assistance with my mail server (Mandrake 9.2).  I've got
postfix running such that it executes a script which processes an email
through spamassassin and then returns it to postfix for delivery.  The
problem though is that it seems to run as user "spamfilter", which I suspect
is why my personal .procmailrc file isn't having any effect.  I don't fully
understand which programs run as which users in this whole process, which is
why I would like some guidance.

This setup has worked beautifully until I tried to make my personal
.procmailrc.  Procmail doesn't seem to notice it at all.  Is procmail running
as user spamfilter?  Of course, only my username and group "mail" have access
to my spool file.  Here are my config files and the spam script (extension
changed for convenience).  Note that the stuff I added is at the bottom of
the .cf files.  Also note that I am fooling around with SASL, but it's still
broken.  Comments on that are welcome as well!

http://hrivnak.org/mailconfig/

In case my recipes are buggy, the intent is to move all mail from trilug to
the folder "trilug", all spam with a score of 10+ to "myspam", and all other
suspected spam to "spam".

Just for fun, I threw in "processlist.txt" which is the result of "ps -Af".

All comments are welcome.  I'm interested in learning why $HOME/.procmailrc is
ignored, and I'd be happy to take advice on any other issues you might spot.

Thanks a million,
Michael Hrivnak