[TriLUG] burning data cd for windows

Dan Monjar daniel.monjar at na.biomerieux.com
Wed Jan 14 09:40:01 EST 2004

--On Wednesday, January 14, 2004 09:24:22 AM -0500 uzoma nwosu
<uzoma at audioverse.com> wrote:

> This must be a silly question.  I'm using k3b to burn a data cd for a
> friend.  They are just images from a art show.  I've checked  the Joliet
> box  and everything seems to burn fine.  I can mount and open the files
> under linux.  However, whenever we try them on a windows system, we can
> see the files or folders but cannot open them.  I've looked at the
> permissions  section of k3b there's really nothing to tweak (all the
> options disappear).
> I also get the same results under xcdroast and commandline.  What could I
> be missing that make  windows not read  these things?
> Any help is appreciated.

When I do it from the command line I use mkisofs then cdrecord.  On the
mkisofs command I specify -J for Joliet stuff and -r for for Rockridge
stuff.  Here's part of the man for -r:

       -R     Generate SUSP and RR records using the Rock  Ridge  protocol
              further describe the files on the iso9660 filesystem.

       -r     This is like the -R option, but file ownership and modes are
set
              to more useful values.

I never have any problems.

--