[TriLUG] Re: USB portable hard drive

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Wed Jan 14 10:45:22 EST 2004

sholton at mindspring.com wrote:
> 1) Choose a file system for the hard disk which is supported under the
>  kernel you're running. If it works under Windows, you're probably okay,
> but I've heard the native file systems under XP can be a problem...
>
> 2) Use the info from /proc/scsi to determine where the device 'landed'
> when you plugged it in.
>
> Take a look at:
>    http://www.universalsmartdrive.net/standard/manual.htm#5-3

And beware if you are using multiple USB "drive" devices.  SCSI id
assignment is dependent on plug in order.  So, if you plug in device 1,
than device 2, they will get (for example) sda, and sdb.  Remove device
1 and plug it back in, it gets sda again.  Reboot your system, or rmmod
the usb-storage module, and plug in device 2 first and *it* will get
sda.  This drove me nuts for about an hour until I figured out what was
going on.

--[Lance]

--
  Carolina Spirit Quest:  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/