[TriLUG] CCI machine Linux compatability

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Thu Jan 15 15:01:43 EST 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 01:14:20PM -0500, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> I am writing to ask whether anyone has any Linux experience with either of
> the two desktop machines described at

Here at NC A&T, I've configured several quite similar machines for Red
Hat 9. They work flawlessly.

> >From the descriptions given, I'm not sure what to make of "Integrated
> 10/100/1000 MB ENET"  or "Integrated 10/100100 MB ENET". (I'm guessing the
> latter was a typo and should be the same as the former). Can anyone offer
> more detail about this? Is this the Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 or similar?

They are Intels. I've a machine right in front of me right now running
RH9 that supports it out of the box. (And yes, I'd venture it's a typo
on that page).

> As for the video card, it would also be useful to have more information.
> The web page says "Intel Extreme Graphics 32MB" and "Open AGP slot NVIDIA
> QUADRO-4 64mb" respectively.

The Intel Extreme Graphics uses the i8xx chipset(s), and RH9 supports
them out of the box as well via the i8[13]0 drivers for XFree86 4.3.0+.
The situation is exactly the same as for the Nvidia Quadro4: 2D works
fine out of the box. You will have to do some tinkering to achieve
acceptable hardware-accelerated 3D performance (binary-only schtuff).

> I see that Debian packages the nvidia driver, and the description
> explicitly mentions the Quadro chipset. I used these drivers once and they
> worked OK, but does anyone have any direct experience with the Quadro
> chipset, specifically how it works with recent 2.4 kernels? Also, has
> anyone any experience of using this with a flat-panel display?

As I stated above, I'm currently using one such similarly-configured
machine to respond to this email. Updated RH9 configuration works
fine -- everything was detected, configured, and up and running within
a blink.

Some tips: 2D clarity with the Nvidia binary-only drivers ("nvidia")
suffers dramatically compared with the stock ("nv") XFree86 4.3.0 one,
so I would stay with nv unless you have a compelling reason to migrate
to nvidia. Currently I'm using a Dell 1901fp flat-panel display at
1280x1024, and it's ... beautiful </wipes tear from eyes>. Crisp. You
will probably have to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and add "1280x1024" to
the list of modes if you wish to use this res since only up through
1024x768 were configured for this display.

HTH.

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc