[TriLUG] Big Goof (chown -R misstep)

Jason Purdy jason at journalistic.com
Thu Jan 15 16:40:28 EST 2004

I was pretty close to deploying a new server yesterday when I made a
tragic error.  I was uploading some web materials (/var/www) and hit an
ownership error, so I did a quick:

chown -R jason *

But I accidentally did that in /var instead of /var/www ... and I did
this as root.

Big oops - /var contains mail spools, logs, lock files, etc.

Suffice it to say I've learned my lesson (and did I mention that
/var/www didn't even have subdirectories, so there was no need for the -R).

Since that's happened, I've either chown'd things back to root or
uninstalled the software and reinstalled it, but I'm still having a
small problem with procmail.  The e-mail does get delievered, but it
doesn't look like it's using spamassassin, even though I have an
/etc/procmailrc[1].  Also, in Webmin, there's a module for Spamassassin
administration in the "Servers" section, but when I click on that, it
says the SpamAssassin command /usr/bin/spamassassin was not found
(though it is there).

Does anyone have a Debian box & similar setup (stable Debian 3.0,
postfix, squirrelmail, webmin, usermin and spamassassin) that wouldn't
mind sharing the output of "ls -lR /var" with me?

Thanks,

Jason

[1]:
$ more /etc/procmailrc