[TriLUG] Windows SSH Client Software

Rob Lockhart rob_lockhart at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 16 09:26:59 EST 2004

David Cowan wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a fairly inexpensive SSH
>compliant remote access client? The application that
>our users run remotely is a non-gui, character based
>system. The most important features that we would need
>are keyboard mapping and remote printing capabilities.

David, I saw that a lot of people have responded and I won't copy their
(in regards to X performance, it's quite dismal).  The footprint is
rather big and some antivirus programs falsely register it as a virus
(thus making it not work).  We had this problem at work with McAfee (my
personal choise is NAV).  PuTTY, though many prople use it and like it,
seemed a bit awkward to use (not remembering my profiles automatically
and keymaps didn't work correctly).  This could have been my "operator
error" but rule of thumb is: if it's easy to use with zero learning
curve, most people will like it and use it.

I convinced most people in my department to use TeraTerm (instead of the
brain-dead Hyperterminal) for COM and telnet, as well as SSH.

You may wish to check out the newer variant of TeraTermPro, called
TeraTermProWeb here:

http://www.ayera.com/teraterm/

It's still completely free, now includes SSH2 support and built-in web
server (for whatever reason?).

Regards,
  -Rob