[TriLUG] Xmas wireless question

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 16 23:48:43 EST 2004

I hate to beat a dead horse (not really) BUT... hogrits was kind enough
to portscan a Linksys WAP11 access point we were using at a conference
this past weekend and he managed to take it off-line with a PORTSCAN!!!
  Woot!  A denial of service attack via portscan.  Nice.  Now that's
quality engineering!  Like I said before, a linksys AP may be good
enough for home use but in professional work environments you had
better throw out the "toilet paper" argument in a hurry.

BTW - my Orinoco AP-500, for comparison sake, has just survived a very
harsh nessus scan without even a hiccup.

But I  do agree: once you throw out engineering, quality, remote
management capabilities, enterprise level features, and the like  the
"Best Buy quality" hardware and enterprise quality hardware are usually
the same.

Greg