[TriLUG] Slightly OT: >> ULB

z zzd at trilig.org
Mon Jan 19 19:32:33 EST 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 12:59 am, Jon Carnes wrote:
> As a counter point, I purchased several "quiet" fans from a specialty
> site (that specialized in selling quiet components) and they worked
> quiet well.  :-)
>
> You may have also noticed the machine I demo'ed with at the last TriLUG
> meeting - noticed it for how quietly it ran.  Jason Tower built that
> machine, and it is so quiet, I have to put my hand behind it to make
> sure the fans are working (they are!).

This makes me think that we ought to pull all of our collective knowledge and
come up with TriLUG's very own ULB. After reading the ULB article in Linux
Journal this year, I was very disappointed to see them go for the "latest and
greatest with little support" over the "best of the compatible" components.

The criteria could be defined as follows:

1. Case
	- mid/full tower  or other format
	- quiet
	- atx mb compatible
	- accept full length cards
2. Mother board
	- dual processor
	- intel or amd
 	- USB 2.0
	- capable of 4GB ram
	- linux compatible
3. Graphics Card
	- non-proprietary linux drivers available
	- single or dual head
	- min 32MB ram
4. Hard Drives
	- SCSI/ATA Controller