[TriLUG] Slightly OT: >> ULB

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Tue Jan 20 02:49:59 EST 2004

I'm curious, first as to the definition of "ULB" and second as to what
you're trying to do here.  However, it's possible to build a box with the
specs listed.  I personally have a box that contains

- Iwill DPL-533
    - http://www.iwillusa.com/products/ProductDetail.asp?vID=152&CID=91
    - Onbard 10/100/1000 broadcom nic
    - capable of up to 8 Gb SDRAM
    - 4x/8x AGP slot
    - 1 PCI-X/133 slot
    - 1 PCI-X/100 slot
    - 1 64 bit PCI/66 slot
    - 2 32 bit PCI-33 slots

- Matrox G450 dual vid card
    - http://matrox.com/mga/products/mill_g450/home.cfm
    - AGP 4x
    - 32 Mb RAM

- 1 GB RAM (2 512 sticks)

- 2 Xeon 2.0 GHz processors

- SBLive Value PCI

- Adaptec 2940 SCSI-2 card
    - 1 external 68 pin connector
    - 1 internal 68 pin connector
    - 1 internal 50 pin connector

- 2 SCSI HDDs (~ 18 Mb)

- SCSI CD-ROM (Plextor 12/20 Plex)

- SCSI CD-R (Plextor PlexWriter 8/12/20)

- Floppy drive

- Zip drive

- Charcoal ATX form factor Antec case

- Vantec Stealth 520 W power supply (Xeon capable)

- 2 ViewSonic E90fb 19" Monitors

- PS/2 keyboard & mouse

Notes...I haven't kept track of how much it cost to put all this together,
but it's in excess of $3000 :)  Also, DRI doesn't seem to be supported
under Linux for the chipset on the mainboard (works fine for the Matrox on
other boards, just not the Iwill).  The Iwill board variant I have is an
ATX form factor board, and is guaranteed to run under Red Hat 9 by Iwill.
The system does run very stably under Red Hat 9, but was prone to constant
lockups under Gentoo (not sure why).  Gigabit is supported under Linux,
and shows up on my gigabit hub.  If you're interested in details, I'm
thinking about bringing it to the installfest.

William