[TriLUG] sunrpc 16 group limit on Linux

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Tue Jan 20 16:30:05 EST 2004

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of how to get past the 16 group
limit in sunrpc on Linux?

I have linux boxes accessing data on a NetApp using NFS3 where the users
are in lots of groups (used for access control).  Linux supports 32
groups, the NetApp supports 32 groups according to their tech support,
but sunrpc running underneath NFS3 on linux supports only 16 groups for
"normal" access :-(  The data used to be housed on local disk and our
users liked having the 32 groups available.  Now they are limited to 16
per person and it's causing problems.

The linux boxes are RH9 with current erratta.  We will be moving to RHEL
3 sometime before the end of April.  I've heard of patches to get past
this problem but am having problems locating them.

Thanks,
   --[Lance]

--
  Carolina Spirit Quest:  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/