[TriLUG] Voice over IP solutions for Linux

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 21 09:26:40 EST 2004

I agree with Brett, if you are thinking of running a small office it
makes more sense to go with VoIP phones and maybe a two port analog card
(to handle a modem and a fax).

Decent VoIP phones range from $90 to $300 each, and you can add as many
of them to your system as you like without the need for any special
hardware.

The Wildcard X100P's are $100/each and each one can handle one incoming
POTS line.

So the cost of a small Biz phone switch +phones would be:
  8 phones   = 8 * $100 = $800
  3 co lines = 3 * $100 = $300
  total                  $1100

Not including the PC (a 2Ghz box with 512Mb RAM), and the time spent in
setting up Asterisk (2 hours install + 6 hours reading docs + 4 hours
setup/testing) =~ 12 hours