[TriLUG] Building an "iso" - starting with Fedora

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Wed Jan 21 13:25:58 EST 2004

Tarus Balog wrote:

> Here's a problem I want to solve. I want to create a single CD that
> will install OpenNMS and all of its dependencies (postgresql, tomcat4,
> rrdtool, postfix [or some mailer], etc.) on Fedora, but I also want to
> be able to install the base Fedora packages, including X and perhaps a
> base KDE or GNOME on top of any supported x86 hardware (i.e. I need to
> have the network drivers, display drivers, etc., on that CD).
>
> Is it possible to modify the Fedora installer to do this automagically?
> If so, any pointers? How-Tos?
>
> -T

What I'd do is create a minimal chroot, (kernel/glibc/rpm), then use yum
with the undocumented --root option option to install the packages you
want to that chroot.  Then use rpm -qa | sort as your base package list.
  You could probably trim the xml packages file on the first cd of the
Fedora ISO, to only include those packages that are in your kickstart
list, and create your iso from only those packages, but that's beyond my
expertise.

Joseph