[TriLUG] looking for mass-email software

M. Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 21 10:49:33 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 02:26:28PM -0500, Christopher L Merrill wrote:
> I need to send e-mails to a large group of people (specifically,
> a club membership).  I've looked at a number of solutions, but
> all have fallen short of my requirements:
>
> 1) Easy to re/import the e-mail addresses from a text file
> 2) complete control of sender and reply-to headers, regardless
>    of what SMTP server I route the e-mails through
> 3) customization of each message with the To: headers for each
>    recipient set accordingly (and no listing of the other recipients)
> 4) no headers, footers or other content other than my intended message

<snip>
> Any suggestions?

Email is just a text file sent to a router/transporter (MTA).  Why not
create a template and use Python to put in the fields you want to
adjust?  It shouldn't be that hard and you get to use a great tool -
Python.

adjust_template
while morenamesinfile:
	get_template
	mod_to_field
	send_to_mta

IIRC M$ Word does this kind of thing but I assume you are looking for
a _good_ solution.  I doubt if #2 is met with this approach.