[TriLUG] Adding to the list of topics: IPv6

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 22 10:09:32 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 06:31, Magnus wrote:

> Bluetooth can already do a lot of this without an IP address needed.
> Then again it hasn't exactly exploded onto the industry like everyone
> predicted.  And still, IPv4 can handle this just fine if the protocols
> being used are secure.

The Bluetooth argument is fine, except that it requires another device
for Bluetooth to hook up to.  The communications of the appliance are
now dependent on a secondary computing device being in the house and
setup properly to allow it to work. This isn't as limiting as NAT, but
it adds complexity.

If we need to move to IPv6 anyway because we are running out of
available IP addresses, then why *not* simply put an ethernet interface
on the appliance (which is much cheaper than a Bluetooth interface) and
let it communicate directly?

Jon Carnes