[TriLUG] Adding to the list of topics: IPv6

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Thu Jan 22 15:27:46 EST 2004

Saying "Who needs telephones..." is a false generalization of what I said.
What I said was that some of these devices might make sense for certain
business purposes but otherwise aren't likely to interest the average
person.  I still stand by that assessment.  I don't see where having
IPv6-enabled appliances is really going to help the average person on the
street.

Sure, for VoIP phones, it makes sense...but toasters?  refirgerators?
HVAC?  PDAs?  I **REALLY** don't see the advantages, and I have yet to see
any sort of logical argument to support that ("Golly gee, look at the
whiz-bang future potential" doesn't count).

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I just don't see the need to
put IP addresses on every gizmo that comes out of a factory.

William