[TriLUG] Network Install

David B. Rankin david.rankin at unc.edu
Thu Jan 22 20:47:10 EST 2004

I have done several FTP SuSE installs. Here are the tricks I learned:

(1) Find a good fast site. I used ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu and
chuck.ucs.indiana.edu with good results. ibiblio gave me problems but I
do use it to patch the machine when I'm on the UNC campus.

(2) I had a problem with the built in 3c90x NIC card in some old Dell
Workstation 400s.  SuSE/YaST did appear to discover and load the card
properly but ifconfig showed errors so I ended up using a DLink and a
IBM which worked great.

(3) On a laptop, SuSE 9 would not properly load the PCMCIA driver for a
IBM 10/100 etherjet. SuSE 8.2 loaded and worked great on the same
hardware. In my case the IBM uses a Xircom driver.  I followed this
procedure. The TRICK here is to get to the alternate install console
(Alt-F9) and manually load the appropriate module: