[TriLUG] Voice over IP solutions for Linux

Reginald Reed reginald at cisco.com
Fri Jan 23 08:05:14 EST 2004

trilug-bounces at trilug.org wrote:
> Jon Carnes wrote:
>
>> The soft-phones (using your sound card and your PC) are definitely
>> cool, but I wouldn't run a business off them yet.
>>

> Nortel is running their business off soft phones with usb hand/head
> sets. Not saying they are smart, but big companies are doing it.

Just a note here, but I believe most USB headsets do *not* use the soundcard
in your PC, but are their own sound devices.  I know the Plantronics headset
that I used with my Cisco SoftPhone (before I got my Logitech bluetooth
headset - which rox btw) is an independent sound device that is far superior
to the fidelity I can achieve using the default soundcard in this Thinkpad
T40p.

Also, our entire company (Cisco) is fully VoIP, both hardware and software
IP phones, as well as a few analog phones hanging off of FXS to VoIP
gateways.  Internationally.

--Reggie