[TriLUG] Microsoft NC Case

Jesse Aaron Safir jesse_safir at unc.edu
Mon Jan 26 09:35:01 EST 2004

Jason,

> Has anyone else received a letter in the mail from a "Settlement
> Administrator" that offers Microsoft vouchers as part of a settlement?
> It's part of a case "MJM Investigations, Inc. v. Microsoft Corp." (Nos.
> 00 CVS 4073 and 00 CVS 1246 -- whatever that means... ;)).
>
> Anyway, I thought it was interesting, b/c there's a scheduled hearing
> for May 27th, 2004 here in Raleigh.  Might make a good field trip to go
> and listen ... heck, they're offering you a chance to speak at the
> hearing if you wanted (and filed the proper paperwork).
>
> I have plenty of other details (why are lawyers so verbose? ... I must
> have 10 pages of small font copy to weed through, just for a voucher?),
> but I'll refrain from flooding here.

I got it...but I can't recall actually buying anything from Microsoft.
I've been working for UNC since 1993 and I've always had access to the
Microsoft software from the Microsoft Campus Agreement or otherwise.  So,
I'm not sure that I could even claim I was overcharged if I never actually
bought anything from them...  Do you have to prove you bought something
from them to take part in the settlement?

 *  Jesse Aaron Safir, Chief Windows Systems Engineer   *
 *   ITS Server Farm Group, AIS Distributed Computing   *
 *       440 West Franklin Street, CB# 1150, UNC        *
 *  Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1150, jesse.safir @ unc.edu   *
 *   919-962-4720(w), 919-216-1605(p), 919-260-8686(m)  *