[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Tue Jan 27 07:06:22 EST 2004

On Monday, January 26, 2004, at 09:31  PM, Jon Carnes wrote:

> A /29 gives you 6 usable IP addresses - one must be used for the
> gateway, so that leave 5 for other purposes.  To setup a Domain, you're
> supposed to give the Internic two separate IP addresses - One for your
> Primary DNS, the Second for you Secondary DNS server.

The second DNS server should be on a different network from the first.

The DNS and other services can share one IP address by port forwarding
at the gateway.

For most SOHO's this can be done with but a single IP.

As for DNS, best to leave that to one of the well run third party DNS
providers.  Sure, it's something you can do yourself if you want.  But
why bother when you have free providers like EveryDNS who will do it
for you for free?  And you can never hope to reach the levels of
redundancy that they can boast of.

With things like port forwarding and reverse proxying you can do some
amazing things with just one IP address.  You'd never know that traffic
coming into my one IP could be directed into any one of half a dozen
servers (to say nothing of all the other boxes hiding behind NAT).

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish