[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 27 10:45:39 EST 2004

Pointing to a CNAME is iffy.  What happens if the A record that the CNAME
points to is removed or changed?  Then the CNAME is broken, thus breaking
the NS record.  And from the most pragmatic point of view, BIND 9.x and many
of the newer versions of DNS servers coming up won't look up these records,
because of a failure in RFC compliance.  Basically, looking up glue records
to find the host's IP (or vice versa) is time consuming and not all that
reliable or secure.  Depending on glue records means that there is a chance
that the recursive lookup server may pull bogus data, forwarding you to an
IP that is incorrect, or worse, a mocked up, bogus phishing site, for
example.  By making sure that your NS records are A records, you can reduce
the chances that your site's visitors are getting the information on finding
your site from the proper authoritative source, and it's much more difficult
for attackers to exploit.

Make sense?

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--