[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Tue Jan 27 11:00:00 EST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Mike Johnson wrote:

> In general, there isn't one.  Not for SOHO.  It does allow you to run
> multiple servers for the same protocol (for instance, multiple web or
> mail servers) without having to use weird reverse proxying tricks.  But,
> in a SOHO env, that's generally not a -need-.

On the other hand, reverse proxy tricks aren't really weird and work
pretty well to make many web servers look like one.  It's built into
apache & squid, which are built into many common Linux distributions.

> Now, on the other hand, it's a feature.  Given the choice between two
> ISPs, where the only difference is a /29 vs a single IP, I'd choose the
> /29.

Sure. More is better.  If there is no price difference, and all other
things are equal, the /29 might save you a little setup time.  Having an
extra IP or two could give you more flexibility in your options for VPN
(which doesn't really play well with NAT).