[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 27 13:59:03 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 10:02, Ben Pitzer wrote:

> 4.  If you change your zone, make sure to lower the TTL in your SOA record
> at least 1 week before you move the zone to another provider, and that the
> old provider removes your zone from their DNS servers as soon as the new
> zone is set up with the new provider.  This may require some cajoling, as
> sometimes providers are slow to remove their old zones.  It is, however,
> imperative, as most DNS servers will continue to look your zone up on the
> last known authoritative server until that server is no longer
> authoritative.

Six years ago when I moved HAHT over to TWTC from UUNet I was using
UUNet as a secondary DNS.  I shortened my TTL *and* left behind a box
running multiple IP's and forwarding ports to our new domain.  My plan
was to pull the box and cancel the UUNet service once the hits on the
box dropped to near zero.

The hits on that box dropped after the first day, but were steady after
that.  After a month I traced down all the hits that were still going to
that box as coming from folks using UUNet's DNS servers.  They refused
to drop their Secondary for HAHT.  All told it took them 3 months to
drop the old information out of their DNS.

>From that day on, I've always kept the Secondary (and the Primary) on a
box that I control.

YMMV -  Jon Carnes