[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill

chris at bullocksbarn.com chris at bullocksbarn.com
Tue Jan 27 14:11:01 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 01:54:08PM -0500, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Jon Carnes wrote:
>

> >I knew that someone was going to post this, and I have to respectfully
> >respond: wordybird.
> >
> >On a /29 network there is little if any need for a remote secondary
> >DNS.  If you are having enough problems on your little external network
> >to knock two out of five machines off that network, then who cares if
> >your DNS is working - no one can reach you anyway!
>
> Jon,
>
> I have to respectfully point out to you at least one example where
> your example is, in your words, "bullshit".
>
> That is when you have a offsite backup mx.  If your mailserver is
> down for some reason, an offsite backup mx can save that mail for
> you and can even be configured to keep trying to deliver for
> longer than the normal smtp timeouts would be.  If, however, the
> sending machine doesn't know where to find the backup mx (because
> you thought that putting both DNS servers on the same subnet
> wouldn't be any problem), then you are hosed.  So, I would say,
> it's in general a good rule to have offsite DNS.
>
> That's only one example.  I'm sure, however, there are others.
> Anyone care to post some?
I may be way off the intended topic, but here I go.
I know the way we work around this is that we tell dyndns to look at
backupmx IP.  We do not have any DNS servers of our own on the Internet.
All info is input into dyndns and everything just works.  All mail is
forwareded to $ourmailserver and if $ourmailserver is down, it
automatically goes to $ourbackupmx, when $ourmailserver is back up
$ourbackupmx forwards the mail to the main.
--cgb