[TriLUG] how do I add an email account

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Jan 27 14:37:36 EST 2004

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Joseph Tate wrote:
>
>> Cyrus is an alternate IMAP implementation.
>>
>> It's different from UW-IMAP in that:
>> A.   It's configurable without having to recompile
>> B.   It uses maildir instead of Mbox*
>

> Cyrus does not us maildir.  It also does not use mbox,
> or even the format the trilug uses -- mbx.  It uses
> its own, weird format that has something to do with
> .db files, iirc.  That allows it to easily allow
> public imap folders and imap folder sharing.
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner

It's not maildir, but that's the closest thing that I could think of to
describe it.  Cyrus refers to the mail storage format as mailbox
directories.  Each message folder is a separate directory.  Each message
within that folder is stored in a separate file much like maildir,
however unlike maildir, cyrus messages are stored in numbered files.
Cyrus also keeps track of who's seen which message (very useful for
shared folders) and some other "meta" information.  Info available at
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/cyrus-overview.html#recovery.  There is a
sleepycat database behind it all to map users, etc.

But the most unique thing about Cyrus IMAP vs any other IMAP
implementation is that the mailbox system is a closed system.  It's
owned by the cyrus user, and all manipulation is done through the cyradm
tool or through IMAP commands.

Joseph