[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill - the $50 question

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Tue Jan 27 14:51:50 EST 2004

Jon Carnes wrote:
> Any decent router will work. I believe that TimeWarner can even deliver
> multiple static IP's to a user via their cable network.

Jon,

That's how I orginally got my service from Time Warner.  They delivered
2 static IPs to my generic cable modem.  Unfortunately (for me), they
decided to change this about 2 years ago and move the business customers
(of which I was one, since they don't give static IPs to residential
customers, or at least didn't then) to a different IP range.  As part
of this, they decided to move all the business customers to using
routers instead of cable modems.  The bad news for me was that they
were going to take away one of my static IPs because the router
would use it.  Since I had specifically ordered the service with
2 IPs, that was not acceptable, which is why I now have a /29.

So, even though they can (or at one time could), I don't belive
Time Warner will deliver multiple static IPs to a user via their
cable network.  Instead they want everything to be either /30 or
/29.  There is no intermediate step anymore.  (If this has changed
and someone knows about it, I'd like to hear about it, thanks.)

Cheers,
Tanner