[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 27 15:06:14 EST 2004

When you setup a mail server to act as a secondary you basically just
turn on relaying for that domain.  Mail for the domain then comes in to
the Secondary server and is accepted.  That server then continuously
tries to deliver the cached mail to the Primary (well every 4 hours).

Also, it is worth noting that mail is sent via SMTP and can end up
anywhere - in a cache, spool, NFS folder, database, etc.

Mail is downloaded via any number of protocols, including POP and IMAP.
You can have multiple SMTP servers all feeding mail to a database server
or a centralized NFS server, then have multiple POP/IMAP servers that
front-end for that database or NFS server.  Some larger organizations do
mail this way.  There is no association between the smtp and the pop
servers - they are different servers.

Jon Carnes