[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Wed Jan 28 08:20:38 EST 2004

NOT if you live in Greenville.

I had an interesting conversation with idiot|moron|half-wit behind the
counter who tried to convince me that Linux was NOT evolving as quickly
as Windows.  Oh yeah, in case anyone didn't know, open source software
is inherently insecure because "everyone can read the code" and find the
vulnerabilities.  He didn't have much to say when I told him about
OpenBSDs 7-year, 1 remote compromise record (despite the "insecure" open
source).  He was also not willing to even check Linux compatibility with
any of the hardware he was selling, which didn't much matter to me as it
was overpriced anyway.

So unless you like your overpriced hardware bundled with a healthy dose
of *bad* customer service and complete ignorance, STAY AWAY from Intrex
in Greenville.  (And if you do, you might as well buy brand name stuff
at Circuit City or Best Buy.)

I guess you guys have it better there in the Triangle.

Just my rant plus $.02

--mike