[TriLUG] Virus Attachments

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Wed Jan 28 13:03:44 EST 2004

Hello,

Unfortunately you aren't emailing the person who is actually infected.
The MyDoom virus forges the from using random email address from the
infected machines address book.  So unfortunately you have only added to
the email clutter going around (unknowingly, not trying to harp on
you).  Best you can do is just ignore and delete them, they are an
annoyance.  What is more annoying is when I get emails from virus
scanning servers telling me that I'm infected (yeah, that funny, a
windows virus has infected and taken over my Linux desktop..hehe yeah
what ever..)

Another amusing thing is that I've been receiving a lot email address
that are made up like mike(at)cafaro.net and others which are not real
email address and were just going to my collect all email account (I've
since turned that collect all off to cause those stupid things to
bounce, and of course increasing the email clutter, oh well...)

-David

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 12:48, Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I ran into this this morning.  Several mails I have gotten from trilug
> have had the MyDoom and Sven Windows viruses as attachments.  Im not
> trying to get anyone in trouble and since I know some of ya I don't
> think you would do it intentionally.  I have sent the people whose
> e-mails had the virus attached a personal e-mail as a courtesy.  I
> wanted to make everyone aware of this was happening.
>
> Thanks

David A. Cafaro <dac(at)cafaro.net>
Sys Admin to User: "You did what?!?"