[TriLUG] No To: field in spam

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Thu Jan 29 09:27:47 EST 2004

Mike M wrote:
> I am finding all of the malware attached email arrives with no To:
> field.  This is a nice feature since procmail dumps such email into my
> DEFAULT mailbox which I never look at.  Why would a spammer omit the To:
> field?

Maybe to bypass spam filters?  Many ISPs recently started filtering
out e-mail that was delivered to a different user than the To: field
indicated.  This broke e-mail lists for many people, because the
mass-mail or mail-list software used was not addressing the To: field
for the individual recipient.  Mailman, for example, added that feature
in the last 12-18 months, I think.  It is possible that those ISPs
filters _are_ allowing email with _no_ To: field to be delivered to the
intended recipient.

just a guess...

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.           |  http://www.webperformancemonitoring.net

Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software