[TriLUG] setting eth0 to full duplex

STaylor at srspos.com STaylor at srspos.com
Thu Jan 29 10:21:17 EST 2004

Hey,

It has been my experience that it is best to either set both sides manually
or leave both as auto.
If you aren't seeing any queued packets on your switch (if the switch is in
"Store & Forward) then your not gaining anything with full duplex.

Otherwise, set the switch to 100 full duplex and manually configure the
card.

I am not sure of you can do it through the OS.

You can normally download utilities from the nic vendor that will do it
though.

Shawn

                      spain at ncssm.edu
                      Sent by:                 To:       trilug at trilug.org
                      trilug-bounces at tr        cc:
                      ilug.org                 Subject:  [TriLUG] setting eth0 to full duplex

                      01/29/2004 10:12
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Triangle Linux
                      Users Group
                      discussion list

I'm aware of how to manually assign a static address to aninterface,
however, I'm getting notices that there's a duplex mismatch.. switch is set
to 100baseT and I believe the eth0 is set to auto ( is that the setting by
default?)

How do I set the interface to full duplex or 100baseT and what syntax can I
use.. if my ip was 192.168.1.100/24

ifconfig eth0 inet addr 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 up  (what would
be the correct syntax to set the media type to 100baseT)

Or is there a file in /etc that you can set the auto start parameters for
eth0 ?

Any help is well appreciated.. right now the box periodically drops ssh
sessions due to packet loss..

  _____

Sincerely,
Jamil Hassan Spain
NC School of Science and Mathematics | External Programs
Phone: 919-416-2641
Web: www.dlt.ncssm.edu <http://www.dlt.ncssm.edu/>
Email: spain at ncssm.edu <mailto:spain at ncssm.edu>
  _____