[TriLUG] a 'non-windows' method to upgrade BIOS/firmware?

Timothy A. Chagnon tchagnon at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 30 11:20:59 EST 2004

Tried to replicate your process...

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 10:24, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> I have had the exact same experiences, except here are my problems
> (with some other random info):
>
> --> I'm using DVD-RW media, which burn & verify OK under OS X.
>
> What I did:
>
> dvd+rw-format -force /dev/cdrom
> mkisofs -r -v -J -V data -o file.iso data_dir
> growisofs -Z /dev/cdrom=file.iso

all went well up to here

> The burn /seemed/ to go OK, but when I tried to verify it ...
>
> 1. cmp /dev/cdrom file.iso
>    --> got an I/O error

I didn't get an I/O error on the cmp, but I did get this:
cmp: EOF on file.iso

instead I tried my usual way of verifying cdrs:
$ md5sum file.iso
4f4a3c033db17cd090544932351eb970  file.iso
$ md5sum /dev/scd0
1862d022ca6cc665d45693663a8f545b  /dev/scd0

intersting...

isoinfo on both the /dev/scd0 and file.iso come out the same...
might have something to do with the UDF filesystem on the actual dvd.

> 2. find /mnt/cdrom -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum >| ~/digest.disc
>    --> got an I/O error

This got no errors.

> I was hoping that upgrading the firmware of the unit might help out,
> but ... not sure!  Again, it seems I can burn things just fine under OS
> X with the *exact* same media.  I've tried it with 2 DVD-RW discs.
>
> Anyone know why I might get an I/O error ... bad burn?  media?
> read/dma settings?
>
> Doug

Just off hand, make sure you're using ide-scsi on that drive.  You
probably wouldn't have gotten that far without it though.  I guess this
means it's media or the drive...

here's my scsi_info to compare to yours
# scsi_info /dev/scd0
SCSI_ID="0,0,0"