[TriLUG] a 'non-windows' method to upgrade BIOS/firmware?

Jason White jason at jw2.org
Sat Jan 31 00:07:31 EST 2004

* Douglas Kojetin (djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu) [040130 10:13]:
> Ahhhhhh ... I see what's going on.  LiteOn has instructions for
> 'windows' and 'dos'.  The 'dos' instructions are for OLD CDRWs, of
> which they do not even have 'dos' updates for anymore.

> Looks like I may have to take the bite and do some sort of
> windows-based install.

> Quick question for those out there:  what's the easiest way of doing
> this?  I have a Win2K install disk ... and a WinXP one somewhere (I
> could not find it this morning, so it's hiding!  good for it!).  Is
> there a way to use the Win2K install CDROM to 'boot' into a
> quasi-windows state that will allow me to install the updates?  I'd
> prefer it if I did not have to install windows at this point in the
> game.

"Bart's PE Builder helps you build a "BartPE" (Bart Preinstalled
Environment) bootable Windows CD-Rom or DVD from Windows XP or Windows
Server 2003 very suitable for PC maintenance tasks.  It will give you
a complete Win32 environment with network support, a graphical user
interface (800x600) and FAT/NTFS/CDFS filesystem support."

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/