[TriLUG] Debian any good?

Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk bonzo at lucent.com
Sun Feb 1 01:30:53 EST 2004

  Jason> 2.4.18 is also available for stable. also note that it is possible to
  Jason> install packages from testing or unstable onto a stable system (don't
  Jason> ask me specifically how, i just know it can be done).

After making sure a testing "path" is in your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main non-free

you can then do something like:
#apt-get -t testing mozilla
or
#apt-get -s -t testing mozilla (to "-s"imulate the action)
#apt-get -t unstable package_name (assuming an unstable "path")

very handy "feature" - I use it all the time to make my Debian - MY Debian.
Security issues haven't really been a big issue - I've either been running
Stable or Unstable (which get fixes quickly), or if running testing, I can
always just upgrade to "unstable". I believe Debian calls this "feature" -
pinning.
-----
Timothy Jedlicka, bonzo at lucent.com, 1-630-713-4436, AOL-IM=bonzowork
Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, Testers For Hire