[TriLUG] Debian any good?

Peter Long petelong at petelong.com
Sun Feb 1 11:57:57 EST 2004

I would like to thank everyone for their advice. I have considered all
your advice and I have decided to go with Debian Stable and to limit the
functionality of the machine to firewall/gateway, mail-server and maybe
web-server. Since it is only a PII 350Mhz I think that is enough work
for it. SpamAssassin pegs the poor processor. :)

I have the makings of another machine with a AMD Athlon 1.1Mhz processor
that I will turn into a desktop that will sit behind the firewall. I am
not sure what disto will end-up on that machine. For now I just need to
find some reliable PC133 RAM for the motherboard.

Daniel: I went to http://people.debian.org/~blade/ and I am concerned
with the reason behind the pass phrase on the zip file! Why would I want
to install possibly compromised software on a machine that is supposed
to be my highly secure firewall? I think I will stick with the regular
iso's. I already have half of them anyway.

Thanks again for all the advice.

--
Peter Long