[TriLUG] Debian any good?

Roberto J. Dohnert webwarrior at gnu-darwin.org
Sun Feb 1 12:02:10 EST 2004

I think Debian is a good distro if you are Linux proficient, meaning you
don't mind getting your hands dirty in the command line or editing
scripts and text configuration files.  If you are looking for something
a little more automated I have always suggested SuSE Linux 8.x - 9.0 I
have had newbies who know nothing about Linux use SuSE and were
successful and some of them have moved on to Gentoo, Slack or Debian as
they got more into it. If you are a PPC user I always will suggest
Yellowdog Linux.  The reason I like Yellowdog Linux for PPC is because
these guys are devoted to PowerPC development meaning that's all they
do, whereas Debian and Gentoo focus on x86 and trickle down to the other
processor families when they have the time.