[TriLUG] Kernel Question - Installing OpenBSD

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 1 22:54:57 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 22:33, Jim Ray wrote:
> How tough is the installation?  Any rocket science required?

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.4/i386/INSTALL.i386

In general you ftp down a boot disk image, rawrite that out to a disk
(or use dd), then boot off that disk and go through the menu...

The bootable floppy image:
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.4/i386/floppy34.fs

The hardest part is partitioning your HD, which is not graphical. You
can live with just two partitions for your first install (one for root,
the other for swap)

here are the drive commands you will need:
 p - print out the partition table
 d - delete a partition
 a - add a partition

First print out the partition table and delete any partitions that show
up (you won't be able to delete "c" and that's just fine).

Once all the partitions are deleted, add the first partition:
  a a
  hit enter for the default offset
  make the partition use most of the sectors
  choose the default partition format: BSD 4.2
  mounting point should be root: /

Add the second partition
  a b
  hit enter for the offset
  hit enter to choose the remaining sectors
  choose the default partition format: swap

Save and exit:

===
If you have any problems or questions, let me know!

Jon Carnes