[TriLUG] Openafs & fedora....

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Mon Feb 2 14:39:35 EST 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, dsandif wrote:

> I know I'm gonna get yelled at for asking this question, but has anyone
> been successful at installing and configuring OpenAFS on Fedora Core 1,
> kernel release 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl? Would love some input on this, thxs.

I have been struggling off & on with OpenAFS the last few weeks in my
copious spare time.  There are a lot of really important things that they
don't document (like "Don't stop OpenAFS once it's started otherwise
you'll get a kernel panic").  I've got it up an running now, but not using
it in production because I'm not yet able to get it to authenticate
against MS KerbV (Active Directory).  In this one case I lay the bulk of
the blame on OpenAFS for continuing to push the use of KerbIV and making
it very difficult to get KerbV or GSSAPI working.

OpenAFS is really evil.  But it is the only network filesystem that gets
close to meeting my security requirements.

Note that I'm not on Fedora Core 1 but rather on CentOS 3.