[TriLUG] Rh9 hosed boot loader

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Tue Feb 3 07:22:30 EST 2004

In my infinite wisdom, I made a ghost image (yes, winders based) of the rhce
study group rh9 computer and proceeded to load debian.  I got stuck and
decided to continue with debian at a later date after I learn more about the
installation options.

No prob.  I ghosted the rh9 disk back onto the box.  Now, it will not boot.
All I see is GRUB GRUB.

I tried to do some troubleshooting with mandrake move boot cd and then with
rh9 rescue mode boot cd to no avail:

Rescue Mode
1.boot rh9 cd1 w/ f5 -> shell-2.05b#
2.chroot /mnt/sysimage
3.mount -o /mnt/hda1 -> cannot find in /etc/fstab
4.mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 -> no such file or directory
5.chroot /mnt/hda1 lilo

I am too green on the syntax to really know what I'm doing and want to avoid
manually re-loading the box before Thursday night's lab.

Does anyone see anything obvisously wrong or have a method to reload the
boot loader without reloading the whole rh9?  Fdisk /mbr?  I am not
impressed with ghost disk image not getting the whole disk but rather only
the partitions...

So much for backing up and restoring a system.

Regard,

Jim

Jim Ray, MCSE
Network Engineer
Neuse River Network, Inc.
2610 Vanderbilt Ave
Raleigh NC 27607-7247
tel: 919-838-1672 x201 toll free: 800-617-7652
http://www.Neuse.Net