[TriLUG] Rh9 hosed boot loader

Matthew Lavigne maillist at shenandoahkennels.net
Tue Feb 3 18:11:42 EST 2004

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 07:22 am, Jim Ray wrote:
> In my infinite wisdom, I made a ghost image (yes, winders based) of the
> rhce study group rh9 computer and proceeded to load debian.  I got stuck
> and decided to continue with debian at a later date after I learn more
> about the installation options.
>
> No prob.  I ghosted the rh9 disk back onto the box.  Now, it will not boot.
> All I see is GRUB GRUB.
>
> I tried to do some troubleshooting with mandrake move boot cd and then with
> rh9 rescue mode boot cd to no avail:
>
> Rescue Mode
> 1.boot rh9 cd1 w/ f5 -> shell-2.05b#
> 2.chroot /mnt/sysimage

if you get to this point then you should be chrooted into your system...  do a
'mount' and look at the output.  If should be mounted the way that you
expect.  If not then there may be other issues but I suspect that you will be
mounted correctly.

then you can do one of several thing..

1. grub-install /dev/hda

or a bit more complex but from gentoo

2. grub

from the grub prompt- 	root(hd0,0)
		then 			setup (hd0)
		then			quit

#2 does the same thing as the grub-install (but I trust it a little more)

The other thing that you can do then is to do an fdisk /dev/hda
then press 'p' and make sure that your /dev/hda1 is set to bootable if not
then press 'a' and the partition that is your boot partition.

That *should* get you up and running. If not then post back and I will see if
I can help you any more.
> 3.mount -o /mnt/hda1 -> cannot find in /etc/fstab
> 4.mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 -> no such file or directory
> 5.chroot /mnt/hda1 lilo

Matthew Lavigne