[TriLUG] HD Diags

Joshua Gitlin josh at glowfilms.com
Wed Feb 4 00:37:14 EST 2004

Hey Everyone,

I know I commented earlier that I was having these problems before and
that my drive went bad... Well now a client of mine is having these
same problems on a Dedicated Server that he has and he's asked me to
fix the problem. Since everyone recommended Smartctl to Mike I thought
I'd try it, but I wanted to know which options (if any) were safe to
use on a device with mounted filesystems? I'd prefer to boot the system
from a CD as Mike did but obviously that's not possible without
physical access, and the Sysadmin managing the server doesn't believe
that it could be a hardware failure...

-Josh