[TriLUG] Rh9 hosed boot loader

Matthew Lavigne maillist at shenandoahkennels.net
Wed Feb 4 05:57:33 EST 2004

Jim,

As one that has been down the path that you all are on (took and passed the
RHCE on RH8 in April '03)  I understand how you feel.  Keep that as a tool
under your belt as you may need it sometime.

Also you are aware that the exam has changed?  Below is from the RHCE pages as
RH:

The Certification Lab Exam is bundled with RH300, the RHCE Rapid Track course,
but may be taken separately. Prospective enrollees in RH302 should consider
taking one or more of Red Hat's RHCE courses in preparation for the exam, but
these courses are not required. Candidates are also advised that real-world
system administration experience is an important aspect of preparation for
the exam, and that study without such experience is unlikely to result in
success.

Exam Requirements under Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3:
 Under Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, the certification exam consists of two
parts conducted in a single day. The exam is performance-based, meaning that
candidates must perform tasks on a live system, rather than answering
questions about how one might perform those tasks.

The two parts of the RHCE Exam consist of:

Section I: Troubleshooting and System Maintenance (2.5 hours)
Section II: Installation and Configuration (3 hours)

In order to pass the Red Hat Certified Engineer exam under Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 3 you must meet all of the following requirements:

a score of 80 or higher on Section I, consisting of five compulsory and five
optionals problems;

successful completion of the five Section I compulsory troubleshooting
problems within one hour of that section's start time;

70 percent or more on the RHCT-level skills in Section II;
70 percent or more on the RHCE-level skills in Section II.

The important bit is that the Exam is now fully performance oriented (ie no
multiple guess) and that thre are  some additional troubleshooting problems..

I plan on taking it again (just to update from RH8 to RHEL 3) sometime this
year so I may get involved with the group before that comes up.  If you have
any questions the I can help you with let me  know.....

Matthew