[TriLUG] RH 7.3 upgrade

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Wed Feb 4 10:07:30 EST 2004

> I remember hearing some bad, bad things about the possibility of attempting
> a RH 7.3/7.2 to FC1 upgrade.

I did 4 of these by hand.  It's not bad, really.

upgrade glibc and rpm, add openssl096b and compat-libstdc++ and all their
dependencies.  If you don't get rpm in the first swipe, you have to pull off
some magic to get the DBs read.

Be careful with the openldap and mailman upgrades.. check the release notes
on those.  httpd will probably be chkconfig'ed off when you go from apache to
httpd.  For some reason, gpm and console access aren't playing well together
for me, so, you may want to chkconfig gpm off before you get going.

Otherwise, it ran just fine for me doing 'rpm -qa|sort > somefile', and stepping
through that until I got things moved upwards.

The 'rpm -F *' route actually proved more time-consuming for me.  Overall, shutting
my door and chugging through it, I had a box back up in about 2-3 hours at a
not-frantic pace.

Once you have FC in, change /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources to point to a mirror,
because otherwise up2date will take longer than the install did.