[TriLUG] Unix RPC question ( maybe the OpenNMS people might know this one).

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 11:21:45 EST 2004

H Brett Bolen wrote:

> Does anybody know how to limit the amount of time that linux
> RPC's clnt_create() takes to detect that a host is not
> running?

<snip>
> The delay is always near 3.0 seconds.  I would like to reduce this
> wait, so I can monitor more computers with less time.
>
> Does anybody know how to limit the amount of time that clnt_create() takes
> to detect that a host is not running?  This is not restricted to rstat,
> any RPC program would have this issue.

You can set a client timeout using clnt_control(), in general.  What
I'm not sure about is whether this applies to clnt_create() on Linux
or not.  Some man pages I've seen ( here, for example:
http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man3/clnt_create.3.html )
specifically mention that the default timeout for
clnt_create() can be modified using clnt_control(), but the man page
on my Red Hat 9 box, for example, doesn't mention that.

I guess it depends on how faithful Linux's implementation of RPC
is to the Sun stuff.  You might cook up a little test program and
try and test it empirically to be sure.

HTH,

Phillip Rhodes

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org