[TriLUG] prowling for a small form-factor Linux box

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Feb 5 11:05:22 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 10:45, Greg Brown wrote:

> I like the mini-itx stuff as well, but $99.00 for a X-Box that can be
> modded is a good idea.
>
> I'm still up-in-the-air as far as final details but the X-Box is in the
> running.  I if the amount of ram in a X-Box would be a limiting factor
> for a diskless X-Box.

I don't know how much RAM the X-Box has, but the amount of RAM shouldn't
be a big problem.  Diskless workstations mount their  filesystems over
the network via NFS (or similar), so RAM isn't a big deal.  However, you
don't want to get in a situation where you have to swap (use virtual
memory), because network swapping is S-L-O-W.

Can the modded X-Box use a PXE boot to boot Linux without a hard drive?

--Jeremy